Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Scapesto

Ball jar of scapesto
What are these?
They are garlic scapes, of course! Scapes can be used in the same way you would add garlic to a dish, but they can also be used to make delicious, delicious pesto. Pesto are sort of my thing since I went gluten-free. I pack my lunch for work every single day, and my go-to dish has pretty much been pasta. Pre-gluten-free, I would eat pasta with just some butter and cheese, but gluten free pasta doesn't have the same flavor as the wheat-full version. I don't eat tomatoes (ever!), so I started going the pesto route. Pesto is super simple, just gather up the ingredients and stick them in the food processor and pesto! you've got pesto.
Scapesto Pasta Salad. I use Trader Joe's corn pasta, that is why it is so yellow.

Luckily my food processor matches the pesto.

Scapesto

modified from here

I don't like store bought pesto because it is very oily. I will usually drain off some of the oil if I do buy pesto (I do this with peanut butter, as well). If you don't think the recipe is the right consistency for your pesto, you can double the oil.

Ingredients 
150 g garlic scapes (about 10)
1/3 cup Parmesan
1/3 cup almonds
2 tablespoons hemp seed oil *optional
2 tablespoons olive oil (if you omit the hemp seed oil use 4 tablespoons or 1/4 cup)

Instructions
  1. Put everything but the oil in your food processor (I have seen recipes where people use their blender, I have never tried but I assume that will work). Process (or blend).
  2. Slowly add the oil while blending. Most food processors have a spout you can pour liquids in, if not lift off the lid, pour in some oil, blend and repeat. Once you are happy with the consistency, you are done! 
  3. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks great. I am definitely going to make this with the rest of my scapes, and freeze it. Thanks for sharing!

    I'm also writing about the Local Roots CSA. Check it out.
    www.freshfrombrooklyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yum, yum! Making this tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete